Wallace State Community College - Pharmacy technology school
Pharmacy technology school
- Pharmacy technicians help licensed pharmacists prepare medications and other health care products. Technicians perform routine tasks to assist the supervising pharmacist in the preparation of prescribed
- Pharmacy technicians who work in retail or mail-order pharmacies
have varying responsibilities, depending on state rules and regulations.
Technicians receive written prescriptions or requests for prescription refills
- Technicians may also receive prescriptions sent electronically from
the doctor's office and must verify that the information on the prescription
is complete and accurate.
- To prepare the prescription, technicians must
retrieve, count, pour, weigh, measure, and sometimes mix the medication. Then,
they prepare the prescription labels, select the type of prescription
container, and affix the prescription and auxiliary labels to the container. A
pharmacist must review each prescription for accuracy before it is received by
- Technicians may also establish and maintain patient profiles,
insurance claim forms, and stock and take inventory of prescription and
- In hospitals, nursing homes, and
facilities, technicians have added responsibilities, including preparing
intravenous medications and delivering medicine to nursing units. Still, the
pharmacist must check the order before it is delivered to the patient.
Courses in the Pharmacy Technology program are available online. The only
coursework not available online is (a) the lab component of PHM 210, which
requires four visits to campus during the semester, and (b) the clinical
- Wallace State Community College is a community college located in Hanceville,
Wallace State Community College, a degree granting public community college,
is committed to enabling meaningful learning that transforms lives and
- The Pharmacy Technology program at Wallace State provides general education
courses, lab and theory courses as well as supervised clinical practice to
develop the skills required in pharmacy technician practice.
Good job opportunities are expected for full-time and part-time work,
especially for technicians with formal training or previous experience.
- Meet all the general admission requirements of Wallace State Community
- Possess a GPA of 2.0 on a 4.0 scale.
- Submit a WSCC application to the Admissions Office, declaring
Pharmacy Technology as major by June 15. Applications received after June 15
will be considered on a space available basis.
- Submit official transcripts from all schools previously attended to
the Director of Admissions.
- Submit a program application to the Pharmacy Technology program
- All information must be included for the packet to be complete. Any
missing information will result in the applicant not being considered for
Upon acceptance into the Pharmacy Technology program, the student must submit:
- A completed physical form certifying that the student is in good
health and is able to meet clinical requirements.
- Evidence of
Hepatitis B immunization.
- Proof of health insurance.
- A signed consent to drug testing and background check.
Wallace State Community College Pharmacy Technology Program is accredited by
the American Society of Health System Pharmacists.
- Pharmacy Technology Certificate
Pharmacy Technology Associate in Applied Science Degree
Wallace State Community College
801 Main Street NW