California State University Los Angeles - Pharmacy Technician Certification
Pharmacy Technician Certification
Pharmacy Technician Certification Program is a comprehensive 50 hour course that will prepare students to enter the pharmacy field
and to take the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board's PTCB exam. Pharmacy Technician professional development provides
on-campus and on-site training for busy professionals who need new skills but have precious little time to get them. Certificate
programs are groups of classes that provide in-depth study in particular subject areas. Each program undergoes continuous review
to ensure that it teaches the knowledge and skills required by the industry.
Pharmacy Technician Certification
- Technicians work in hospitals, home infusion pharmacies, community pharmacies and other health care settings - working under the
supervision of a registered pharmacist.
- Course content includes medical terminology specific to the pharmacy, reading and
interpreting prescriptions and defining drugs by generic and brand names. Students will learn dosage calculations, I.V. flow
rates, drug compounding, dose conversions, dispensing of prescriptions, inventory control and billing and reimbursement.
Pharmacy Technician Certification Program includes a graded final exam to help prepare students for the PTCB exam.
Professional Development Program
- Professional development provides on-campus and on-site training for busy professionals who need new skills but have precious little time to get them.
In partnership with Condensed Curriculum International, Inc. (CCI), California State University Los Angeles Division of Continuing Studies is offering a variety of Health Care Professional training programs. Although the US economy remains sluggish and the overall job market has not improved, the demand for health care staff and professionals is growing at a staggering rate. These factors have created enormous job opportunities for individuals trained in leading health care professions. Available to both working adults interested in a new career and current health care professionals, these exciting programs will help students prepare for the numerous jobs available to health care staff and professionals! California State University Los Angeles will offer Pharmacy Technician, Medical Billing and Coding, EKG Technician and other programs - which include some of the fastest growing careers in the health care industry
PTCB Course Information
- role of the pharmacy technician
- pharmacy history/discussion of various practice settings and the technician certification process
- recruiting by pharmacy specialty
- "Evolution of Pharmacy"
- review of hospital pharmacy setting, retail practice, regulatory agencies involved with a pharmacy practice, long term care practice setting, mail order pharmacy, home care pharmacy practice
- pharmacy measures, roman numerals, abbreviations
- review of generic drugs, basic biopharmaceuticals, dosage forms, patient profiles
- prescription label requirements, order transcription, ordering and inventory control, drug pricing, third party reimbursement
- formularies, unit dose systems, emergency and crash carts, house supplies, automatic stop orders, calculating number of doses required
- all major classes of drugs including top brand names and generic drugs
- aseptic technique, handling of sterile products including antineoplastic agent considerations
- basics of IV solutions, calculating 24 hour supply of IV solutions, percentages and electrolytes preparations
- the metric system
- apothecaries' and avoirdupois systems of measurement
- children's doses
- allegation method, math review
- Total Parenteral Nutrition (TPN), demonstration of TPN admixture, hands-on practice of IV admixture and parenteral medication preparation.
5151 State University Drive
Los Angeles, CA 90032
Submitted by: PharmD
Added: Sat Aug 15 2009
Last Modified: Wed Feb 19 2014