Santa Ana College - Pharmacy Technician School
Pharmacy Technician School
- Santa Ana College, a community college located in Santa Ana, is part of the Rancho Santiago Community College District.
The mission of Santa Ana College is to be a leader and partner in meeting the academic cultural, work force and economic development needs of our diverse community.
- Pharmacy Technology certificate classes are designed for part-time students. Classes are offered daytime or evening classes.
- School offers three different types of pharmacy technician training programs.
- Santa Ana College also offers classes which will prepare for admission to a school of pharmacy. These classes, however, are not part of the Pharmacy Technology curriculum.
CREDIT BY EXAMINATION
SAC (Santa Ana College) offers a Credit by Examination (Challenge Exam) procedure for students who have previous knowledge of specific course material. Challenge exams are not designed to provide an option for self-teaching. The program does not provide study guides for challenge exams, although a copy of the course overview is available.
To enroll in the Pharmacy Technology program, students are not required to take any entrance examinations or complete any prerequisite courses.
To be successful, entering students should have the following:
- a good command of spoken English
- good listening skills
- the ability to follow verbal and written directions
- good basic math skills
- the ability to use a basic function calculator
- good reading and study skills
- Santa Ana College Pharmacy Technician Program is accredited by American Society of Health-System Pharmacists (ASHP).
- Santa Ana College Pharmacy Technician Program is the first community college in the United States to be accredited by the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists (ASHP).
- Option 1: Basic Certificate
- This option can be completed in as little as two semesters of part-time study, PLUS the outpatient externship rotation.
- Completion time will depend on how students schedule their coursework.
- This option provides the minimum training needed to apply for your Board of Pharmacy license.
- This option primarily prepares you for drug store employment.
Option 2: Advanced (ASHP-Accredited) Certificate
- This option is usually completed in three or four semesters of part-time study, plus 240 additional hours of externship.
- This option provides the complete training required by the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists (ASHP).
- Students who complete this option will be ready for employment in any pharmacy practice site!
Option 3: Associate Degree
- option requires completion of all of the Advanced Certificate courses, plus general education courses.
- This option is also ASHP-accredited
Santa Ana College Pharmacy Technology Program Department
1530 West 17th Street
Santa Ana, CA 92706
Submitted by: PharmD
Added: Fri Jan 01 2010
Last Modified: Sat Feb 15 2014