Henry Ford Community College - Pharmacy technician school
Pharmacy technician school
- Henry Ford Community College is a public two-year college located in Dearborn, Michigan.
- The school, established in 1938, is accredited by North Central Association of Colleges and Schools and the Michigan Commission on College Accreditation.
Henry Ford Community College is dedicated to the education and enrichment of students and community. As a comprehensive community college with a diverse student population, Henry Ford Community Colleg value teaching and learning.
- To prepare students for a rapidly changing world and workplace, Henry Ford Community College is committed to providing knowledge, communication skills, and cultural opportunities. Henry Ford Community College foster critical thinking, creativity, integrity, and self-esteem.
- Henry Ford Community College measure success by the success of students in a democratic, diverse, and increasingly technological nation
Pharmacy Technician ProgramThe program begins only once per year in the fall semester. HFCC offers its students two distinct pharmacy options.
- One option is the is a one-year Pharmacy Technician Program. The technician curriculum is designed to prepare the students for employment assisting pharmacists after completion of the program. The courses in the Pharmacy Technician Program are designed to prepare the students for employment immediately and not designed for transfer nor intended for those students primarily interested in applying to pharmacy schools.
- If a student's primary intent is on becoming a pharmacist, then the second pharmacy option at Henry Ford Community College which is the Associate in Science Pre-Pharmacy Program is the curriculum that should be followed. The Pre- Pharmacy Academic Transfer Program is designed for the transfer of course work for those students primarily interested in applying to pharmacy schools.
Technician Licensure Exam Information:
- Upon completion of the accredited program, students will be eligible for the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board examination (PTCB) to earn the Certified Pharmacy Technician (CPhT) credential.
- This program is one of three college based programs in Michigan to maintain accreditation through ASHSP.
- Some local area hospital pharmacy employers require pharmacy technicians to be certified (CPhT).
- In addition, out patient pharmacy employers prefer pharmacy technicians who are CPhTs or at least CPhT eligible.
- The CPhT credential is a national certification recognized by employers across the country.
- Early application is essential for counseling and admission into the program. In addition to the general college application, a separate specific application for the Pharmacy Technician program is required and processed through the Admissions Office.
- Acceptance into the College is generally granted to most applicants, but this does not constitute or guarantee admission to the program. Final approval to enroll in the program comes from the Health Careers
- division. An interview with the program's Technical Coordinator is required.
The Admission Requirements for the Pharmacy Technician Program are:
- A minimum high school academic grade point average of "C+" (2.25). This requirement may also be satisfied by completion of at least 12 college credit hours with an academic grade point average of 2.25 (non-skill courses) for both transfer students and Henry Ford Community College students.
- An ASSET/COMPASS Reading Score of 43/84 or successful completion of ENG 081.
- An ASSET/COMPASS test score sufficient to qualify for MATH 080 or higher.
- Typing proficiency of at least 25 words per minute. This requirement may be satisfied with successful completion ("C" or better) of a keyboarding course.
- Health Appraisal
Students in the Pharmacy Technician program are expected to meet the same physical and mental requirements as an employed pharmacy technician. A representative Pharmacy Technician Job Profile is available upon request from the Health Careers Office or during the interview with the program's Technical Coordinator. The job profile lists the specific physical and mental requirements as well as the environmental conditions of the occupation. Each student must have a physical examination and vaccination record on file before admission to externship rotations. The Health Appraisal Form addresses the issue of normal color perception, eye-hand coordination, and any history of substance abuse.
Criminal Background Check and Drug Screen
Consistent with Section 20173 of the Michigan Public Health Code and the requirements of our clinical affiliates, a Criminal Background Check and Drug Screen is required for all students in PHT program prior to beginning clinical assignments. The cost for this test is in addition to the basic tuition and fee schedule. For questions regarding this policy, contact the Health Careers Office.
Accredited by the American Society of Health System Pharmacists (ASHP).
Certificate of Achievement
Henry Ford Community College
5101 Evergreen Rd
Dearborn, MI 48128
5101 Evergreen Rd
Dearborn, MI 48128
Visit: Henry Ford Community College
Submitted by: PharmD
Added: Fri Apr 02 2010
Last Modified: Mon Mar 03 2014